Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mommy, how much is a million?

Mommy, how much is a million?

These days I hear millions, billions and trillions mentioned repeatedly.

How much are these amounts? It's hard for me to comprehend the differences.

I just read good illustration that gave me an idea of the scope if difference between the three amounts, on the Time.com website:

"My favorite way to think of it is in terms of seconds," says David Schwartz, a children's book author whose How Much Is a Million? tries to wrap young minds around the concept. "One million seconds comes out to be about 11½ days. A billion seconds is 32 years. And a trillion seconds is 32,000 years. I like to say that I have a pretty good idea what I'll be doing a million seconds from now, no idea what I'll be doing a billion seconds from now, and an excellent idea of what I'll be doing a trillion seconds from now."

The full article is here.

No comments: